REMARKS BY MR K BARATHAN, CEO, SINDA, AT THE SRI SATHYA SAI KINDERGARTEN’S ANNUAL SPORTS DAY 2017 ON 6 AUGUST 2017 AT MOUNTBATTEN COMMUNITY CENTRE
Management & Teachers of Sri Sathya Sai Kindergarten;
Parents and Students,
A very good morning to all of you.
- I am happy to be here this morning at Sathya Sai Kindergarten’s Annual Sports Day. It’s good to see children and parents here today, filled with energy and enthusiasm on a Sunday morning!
- I am happy that all of you have enrolled your children in kindergarten. It is important that our children start their education early and learn new things every day – be it big or small. A young mind is like a sponge that is highly adept at retaining what it has learnt. That is precisely why early education is of great value and it gives them a good head start to their formal learning.
- One of the things we have done at SINDA, is to work with Google to roll out the ‘Code in the Community’ for kindergarteners and lower primary students. Through this digital literacy programme, we introduced our students to coding and programming, not just for enrichment, but to also encourage them to think creatively and get them excited about technology – beyond the internet and mobile devices.
- Technology is at the forefront of Singapore’s push towards becoming a Smart Nation. So, it is vital that our students be equipped to take advantage of these chances by being well-versed in the STEM-related industries (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). This interest must be cultivated early on in them and we must nurture them into applied learners who can not only appreciate the value of what they are learning, but also be able to apply this knowledge in the real world. This is what will make our students successful in the future.
- Code in the Community is one programme, amongst many more for our Indian children, and I urge you to sign up for these low-cost programmes. We are working closely with a number of partner agencies to bring our programmes and services closer to you, making them more accessible and convenient. The end goal is that, as a community, we must do everything possible, to make our children succeed in life.
- Sri Sathya Sai Kindergarten has worked hard to cater to the academic, developmental and enrichment needs of our children. The management and staff must be commended for their efforts. Catering to the needs of our community cannot be the task of any one organisation or individual. It requires the concert efforts of everyone in the community and we must help one another succeed. So, let us collectively support our children in this journey towards success; let us continue to invest in the future of our community.
- Thank you for having me here today and I wish you a memorable and fun time at today’s Sports Day. Thank you.