22 Sep 2018
WELCOME ADDRESS BY MR ANBARASU RAJENDRAN, ACTING CEO, SINDA, AT THE SINDA EXCELLENCE AWARDS ON SATURDAY, 22 SEPTEMBER 2018 AT THE SINGAPORE POLYTECHNIC CONVENTION CENTRE
Guest of Honour, Minister for Home Affairs and Law and SINDA Life Trustee, Mr K Shanmugam;
Minister, Prime Minister’s Office, Second Minister for Finance and Education and President, SINDA, Ms Indranee Rajah;
Members of SINDA Board of Trustees and Executive Committee
Award Recipients, Parents, Ladies and Gentlemen.
- On behalf of SINDA, it is my pleasure to welcome all of you to the 27th SINDA Excellence Awards ceremony.
- This ceremony is a signature SINDA event and importantly, a platform for us to recognise the achievements of you, our Indian students. We honour the hard work, dedication to excellence and ‘never-say-die’ spirit displayed.
- Today, we honour 469 students across 20 categories. Each one of you would have taken a unique path on your journey but are representative of the same spirit – the pursuit of excellence and the drive to succeed as our future generation.
Introducing the Valedictorian
- Embodying the same spirit is this year’s SEA Valedictorian, Faraaz Amzar Mohamed Farook, who will share his story with us later in the programme. 25-year-old Faraaz is now a Deputy Public Prosecutor/State Counsel at the Attorney General’s Chambers. However, it was not an easy path for him. His story of overcoming challenges on his journey to success and his desire to give back to society is an inspiring one, which teaches us that anything can be achieved with dedication and the right spirit.
Largest Cohort of SINDA Recipients
- Faraaz was a SINDA STEP tutorial student many years ago and I am heartened that we had a role to play in contributing to his success. In fact, today, 11% of all recipients were from a SINDA programme – specifically our educational, youth and family enrichment programmes.
- This is the first time that so many SINDA students and participants have been SINDA Excellence Awards recipients and this large cohort is a testament to the impact and success of SINDA programmes in helping our students and youth aspire towards greater heights and excel in their chosen fields.
SINDA in the Community
- Over the years, SINDA has been a constant presence in the Indian community, committed to its role in supporting the academic and holistic development of Indian students, and thus, the overall betterment of our Indian community.
- In recent times, SINDA has rolled out a number of upstream initiatives which seek to address specific concerns from onset. Some key themes include early and active learning among our students, mentorship and cultivation of life skills in youth and greater parental involvement in children’s lives. Through such initiatives, we are happy that we are able to help a child, encourage a student and motivate a youth in some way.
- Our students’ success is also the result of effective collaboration and a strong partnership between schools, teachers, family members, community, grassroots organisations and many others. The coming together of these stakeholders, focused on the student at the core, is a testament to the many helping hands that are hard at work, to groom our future generations.
- On that note, my heartiest congratulations to each and every recipient here. Your hard work has paid off and you deserve to celebrate the fruits of your labour. Continue giving your best in all that you do, take all challenges in your stride and continue scaling greater heights. SINDA will always be here to motivate you and help you progress in life.
With that, thank you very much and have a good day.