28 Sep 2019
WELCOME ADDRESS BY MR ANBARASU RAJENDRAN, CEO, SINDA, AT THE SINDA EXCELLENCE AWARDS ON SATURDAY, 28 SEPTEMBER 2019 AT THE SINGAPORE POLYTECHNIC CONVENTION CENTRE
Guest of Honour, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Mr Heng Swee Keat;
Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for Social Policies, and Chairman, SINDA, Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam;
Minister, Prime Minister’s Office, Second Minister for Finance and Education and President, SINDA, Ms Indranee Rajah;
SINDA Board of Trustees and Executive Committee Members;
Distinguished Guests; Award Recipients, Parents;
Ladies and Gentlemen.
- It is my pleasure to welcome you on behalf of SINDA, to the 28th SINDA Excellence Awards.
- Firstly, my congratulations to all 517 award recipients – I am heartened by your outstanding achievements! Your hard work and dedication, across academic, sports and arts fields, show diversity in talent and represent the spirit of excellence within our community.
- About a quarter of recipients here have been a part of SINDA, in the areas of education, youth or volunteer programmes – this is the highest percentage of SINDA participants among recipients, in the awards’ history. I am happy that our programmes have had a part to play in your success, in guiding you in your chosen path and supporting you in your aspirations.
SINDA – Moving Forward Together
- At SINDA, we aim to provide our students, youths and young adults with every opportunity to succeed in life.
- And we are always refining our approaches to impact more in the community: Expanding our outreach and making services more accessible has been a key priority for us. A number of our programmes are decentralised and are held in the heartlands, thanks to collaborations with the community. Our flip-model approach, where we reach out to residents in the heartlands, have allowed us to identify more individuals in need of assistance.
- Through these various strategies, SINDA expanded its reach by 38%, to impact over 22,000 individuals just last year.
- This increase is not from SINDA’s efforts alone. Indeed, it was the coming together of many hands – government agencies, schools, grassroots, community partners and volunteers – in a common spirit of nurturing an inclusive and progressive community.
- I am thankful for such partnerships and we aim to grow our reach, to meet the needs of the community.
Youth’s Contributions to the Community
- I invite all award recipients to be active partners as well, in these efforts. Service to your fellowmen strengthens your sense of belonging to the community and the nation; it also ensures a spirit of continued progress for self and others, so that every individual can realise his or her aspirations.
- One excellent platform is the SINDA Excellence Awards Alumni Club – where you can join a network of like-minded individuals who are passionate about community causes; it is also an opportunity to collaborate and contribute through meaningful ways. By coming together and working with one another in a spirit of togetherness, we can achieve more, create greater impact and progress together.
- Recipients, as we celebrate your achievements today, I hope each and every one of you continue to do your best and strive for greater heights. I wish you the very best in your endeavours and look forward to your contributions for the betterment of the Singaporean Indian community and the nation. Thank you.